Re: Unrecognized Hard Drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> Jorge Luis wrote:
> >
> > Barring a very lucky attempt to fdisk the drive, I'm afraid I'm pretty much
> > screwed.  I believe the drive failed when I bailed out of a GRUB configuration
> > in the middle of the operation.  I hope I didn't damage any of the drive's
> > native electronics or the resident software that's written to a small hidden
> > partition.
> >
> Grub will not damage the drive electronics, or wipe out any firmware
> the drive may have. (Accessing the firmware requires special
> commands.) Now, you may have wiped out the partition table, and boot
> sector. This would not prevent you from using fdisk or parted on the
> drive.
>
> Fdisk may have problems with the size of the drive. (Look at the
> bugs section of the fdisk man page...) It does not do well with
> large partitions. You are better off using parted.

Nothing detects the drive, whether connected via the USB converter or plugged
into the computer's EIDE ribbon cables.  Same story with parted, gparted,
fdisk, et al.--they simply don't see the drive.  I don't think there's any way
to restore the partition table.  dmesg and the kernel messages log seem to
indicate that the drive is there (see previous posts), but I can't work with
it unless the drive is registered with the system.

The drive can be jumpered to set the capacity limit to a size that shouldn't
make for any problems with legacy software.  It doesn't make a difference.
I'd guess my partition table is hosed.

TIA,

    JL

--
JL <lists@xxxxxxxx>
Late capitalism has reduced us to isolated integers of acquisitiveness.