Re: Unrecognized Hard Drive

Jorge Luis wrote:

> See my previous message regarding kernel messages.

I replied to that one as well.

> The converter has a brick power supply that provides power to IDE drives.
> Separately, the converter hub is a USB 2.0 interface with two USB connectors.
> One of them provides bus power to SATA drives; the other USB plug is a
> straight-through connector that communicates with the hard drive that's
> plugged into the hub.

Ok - I read the specs. The brick is used to power 5-1/4" and 3-1/2"
drives. 2-1/2" laptop drives are powered off the USB bus. In the
case of 2-1/2" drives, you are going to want to plug in the "power"
USB plug first, wait 10 seconds, and then plug in the "full" USB
plug. When using the brick, plug in and turn on the brick first.

This isn't always necessary, but I have found it works best with the
adapters of this type that I have used. For some reason, the
external 3-1/2" and 5-1/4" cases do not seam to have these problems,
but the 2-1/2", bus powered cases do.

Mikkel