Re: F10 freezes when running glxgears

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just built a new system and installed F10-KDE from the Live CD.
The CD refused to boot into full graphical/install mode so I used text
install.

It looks like the system now freezes when there are certain graphical
applications being run.
glxgears always makes the system freeze. I'm sure there are others, but
this one is easiest to test.

Interesting tidbits:
* glxgears runs smoothly for a second or two before the freeze.
* there's a bit of very faint high-pitched whining (apparently from my
video card) while glxgears is running. Not sure if that's normal. Never
had problems with this card before, though.
* SysRq/REISUB doesn't work. I've tested it without the freeze and it
works like a charm, then.

Except for the whining I'm also experiencing hard lockups with Fedora 10 i386 when running something as simple as glxgears for a few seconds. (system is an Athlon64, nForce4 chipset, Asus X800XT videocard). My guess is the videodriver; there are some bugs filed against the R300/R400 cards in bugzilla, but noone seems to be working on it...

Klaasjan