Re: Catch-22 : NO JOY after all

Antonio Olivares wrote:

--- On Sat, 12/27/08, Beartooth <Beartooth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Beartooth <Beartooth@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Catch-22 : NO JOY after all
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, December 27, 2008, 2:02 PM
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:50:01 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:
	[....]
Welcome to the GRUB_ Club :)
That is when you install a new kernel, machine reboots
and you are
greeted with a GRUB__ prompt only that does nothing :(

What you need to do(to make your computer function) is
to boot in rescue
mode and reinstall grub.  That way you get rid of your
GRUB_ problem.
This GRUB_ problem has bitten many of us that it is
not funny anymore.
But it happens(we can't complain, it happens to
anyone of us, no one is
exempt), the good thing is that there's a
workaround.  Try that and
report back.
	Hmmm ... What means "reinstall" here? How do you
do it??

	I did "cat grub.conf" on the #2 machine,
switched to #1, booted rescue, chrooted /mnt/sysimage, and proceeded to edit grub.conf to clone #2. That failed.
	It may or may not have to do with the fact that one
grub.conf is full of LMV stuff and one with UUID stuff.

	Is there such a command as "reinstall grub," or
do you do it by commanding "grub" from root and doing God knows
what from there, or ...?
It should be something like
# grub-install /dev/sdX where X is a, b, c, ...?
else try with grub? and press TAB to see options.

Regards,

Antonio

Ok, Grub can be awesome, and it can be the suck. The best way, that doesn't take a giant amount of effort, is to read the site first, download and burn the iso, and run as you read it.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/index.php

This has helped me with a lot of Grub related issues, including ones that the IRC room didn't seem to have a handle on (Where the F7 Rescue ISO didn't see the LVM and grub set up, F8 saw it, but would toast the F7 system) and using that I fixed the Grub issues I got (It wasn't as pretty as Grub_ it was no o/s found at all issues, but same ballpark, with stage 1 grub loading from what I have read on this).

~Seann