Re: I'm a newcomer to Fedora 10 Live CD

Pedro Izecksohn wrote:
I'm  not familiar with running the live CD

  So you should not answer.
Probably so.

Issuing xdriver=vesa as a kernel parameter on boot should allow the vesa driver to be loaded when you boot. Though I am not toying around with the Live CD, the X server should work the same as traditional installs.

The reference for me not being familiar with running the Live CD was a point, not a statement for me not being familiar with X. I know a bit about running X on different hardware.

You may need to run with the vesa driver.

  A proper xorg.conf was missing. I needed to create one with: X -configure
  Then I used it with:
X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
export DISPLAY=:0.0
gnome-session

Interesting! I use startx when logged in as regular user after copying the generated config file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf from /root/xorg.conf.new after testing X as root.

With a read-only distribution and many possible configurations, a file for all would not be practical. Though when it fails to automagically detect the right driver, it should fall back to running a configuration utility to cover more hardware.

  and now I'm root inside Firefox.

  Could someone fix the appropriate script?

Running as root while using an Internet browser?

The appropriate script is to run a browser and X as a restricted user.

Jim