Re: awesfx missing - can't load soundfonts

On Monday 22 December 2008 15:25, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > >It's marked "dead.package". See:
> > >https://bugzilla.redhat.com/405131
> >
> > That is bs Michael.  There are a kajillion of those cards in the field. I
> > have an Audigy2 value myself, and have no intention of going back to a 16
> > bit card with no headroom.
>
> Well, I just pointed to the ticket where people killed this pkg.
> Talk to them if you believe they've done a mistake.

Hi Michael.

I have seen packages dropped from Fedora before now. Alsaplayer, as an
example. But in that case there were other players available, but no
consolation to folks that used, and liked Alsaplayer.

In the case of the awesfx package, it is the only one available to load .sf2
soundfonts for those users that have an audigy card (emu10k1), including
myself.

I do find the statement below by Martin Stransky below, a bit over the top,
and am at a loss as to how he has concluded that awesfx is obsolete, and no
longer needed.

<quote from bugzilla above>
Comment #9 From  Martin Stransky  2008-04-09 14:54:36 EDT  -------

I think we can remove the awesfx package from distro. It's quite obsolete
now...
<end quote>

Just out of interest I fired up my Ubuntu 8.10 install, which is using the
2.6.27-7-generic kernel, and awesfx is available, and have just installed it
with no problems. I can't try loading a soundfont, as my audigy2 soundblaster
card (emu10k1) is on a different machine, but don't see any problems in doing
so.

If Ubuntu can continue to provide the awesfx package on their latest release
(Intrepid Ibex 8.10), it is a bit puzzling why Fedora have decided to remove
it, when so many folks (Gene included), are still using audigy (emu10k1)
soundcards, which are well supported by Alsa.

Just some comments from a Fedora user.

Nigel.