Re: Text rendering in FX3

On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 19:06 -0600, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>   http://home.comcast.net/~marc_schwartz/FF2.png
>
> You can see that the page looks just fine.
>
> Here is the same page using FF 3.1 Beta 2, which I also DL'd from
> Mozilla, just to be sure that the same behavior is still present. BTW,
> this happens in 3.0.5, which was just released for F10 and is now the
> default version on my system:
>
>   http://home.comcast.net/~marc_schwartz/FF31B2-1.png
>
> You can see the top of the page, where the left hand navigation column
> is centered, pushing the other content below it. Here is a second
> picture of the same page, scrolled down, so that you can see the
> transition to the main content:
>
>   http://home.comcast.net/~marc_schwartz/FF31B2-2.png

This looks more like CSS issues (or JavaScript, if they're messing with
JavaScript to style the page).  You might narrow your problem down by
reloading the page with one or the other disabled, separately.

But, for what it's worth, the site in the screengrab looks fine, loaded
directly here on Firefox 3.0.4 on Fedora 9.  So I can't absolutely
reason why it does that, from my side of the fence.  However...

Font sizing often has peculiar effects on page layout.  The authors
wrote the page using a particular size (either specified on their pages,
or set in their browsers), and it worked fine, for them.  But someone
else with a different font size (because they set their browser
configuration differently, or their X resolution and scaling of fonts
changed the proportions of things) may see page layouts move about in
odd ways.

The most common one is things wrapping oddly (e.g. like Marcelos's
example page from the Brazil website - set your browser with midget
fonts favoured by many designers, and it might work as expected; if your
fonts were originally too big to be seen properly in a text gadget,
that's a strong indication of that cause and reason).  And CSS
repositioned objects (e.g. floats) can move places radically, from where
the designer expected them to land, as the browser tries to fit them in
to available/calculated space.

The above issues generally coming about where ignorant web authors have
tried to fix the layout of a page, against the design philosophy of
webpages, with disregard for everyone's browsers not being all the same.
HTML+CSS is not a page layout system (in the way that print publishing
is), and things fall apart when stupid design assumptions are made.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.