Server cannot connect to the outside world

I am having some network problems and I am not sure if they are my fault or not.

I have some Dell Poweredge servers. Another employee installed Fedora
9 on these without setting any network settings, then they were put in
a rack, and plugged into the network. They have two nics, so one has
an internal ip (192.168.1.8 in this instance) and the other has an
external ip.

I can't say I've ever done network setup in Fedora, and it's been ages
since I messed with Linux as I am primarily an OpenBSD user.

I turned off NetworkManager and turned on the network:
# chkconfig NetworkManager off
# chkconfig network on

I've edited the appropriate files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

ifcfg-eth0:
# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=216.xxx.xxx.xxx
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:0b:db:e7:7f:e9
NM_CONTROLLED=

ifcfg-eth1:
# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth1
IPADDR=192.168.1.8
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:0b:db:e7:7f:ea
NM_CONTROLLED=

And after I changed those files, I restarted the network:
# service network restart

ifconfig shows the interfaces having the proper ip addresses. I can
connect to the machine on the internal ip, from other machines in the
rack that are on the same range of 192.168.1.xxx addresses. I cannot
seem to connect to it via the external ip though, even from machines
that are on that same subnet, in the same rack. When I try to ping
google's ip address from this machine, I get:
connect: Network is unreachable

There are also other older (though redhat) machines in this rack that
are working fine, accessible remotely and via other internal machines.
I've contacted the colo management and there are no firewall settings
blocking these new machines.

Also, I was told by the person who set up the redhat machines, that he
had to run this command to get everything working on the redhat
machines:
# ethtool –s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

But when I ran this command on the interface I was connected to one of
the machines on, it totally killed the connection and now I can't
connect to it at all.. what's that all about?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

--
Laura