Re: is KDE dead - did Gnome win?

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 02:53:23PM -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I was a die-hard KDE/Konqueror user. But became an instant convert to
> > Firefox when I discovered NoScript. Now I have stopped using KDE because
> > several years of experience with it on 4 different platforms (OpenBSD,
> > Fedora, OpenSuse, and FreeBSD) have convinced me that KDE has security
> > holes (or bugs) which permit exploits which cause me lots of trouble.
>
> Do you have any details on this?
>
> > It's
> > possible that the bugs or security holes are in X itself - it's hard to
> > tell.
>
> In that case, maybe you shouldn't associate KDE with this on a public list.

I forgot to mention that I started out using Konqueror, Kmail and
Konsole. I first stopped using Kmail because of persistent bugs, then
Konsole (switched to xterm after konsole began starting with the input
window filling up with unending sequences of 'i' characters), and
finally Konqueror (which had severe dns problems never experienced by
Firefox). In the case of Konqueror, I experienced in the last several
months a sudden increase in new problems with the browser that never
occurred with Firefox. Now if the bugs were in X, then I should see them
occuring with both Xterm and with Firefox, but I have not. So the
evidence indicates the problems are in KDE. I am trying out a variety of
other windows managers to see if the problems that I had with KDE and
Gnome (on Fedora) persist. So far they seem not to.