Re: Comcast permanent block on port 25

NiftyFedora Mitch wrote:

Port 25 in and out may be negotiated in some areas...
The default in my area was to block it but a polite call to SBC
unblocked it for me.
I still had issues at the other end as my reverse DNS was known home DHCP
class sites and I had to use them as a 'smart' host.

HTTP is more interesting... as it can be a business but without a
fixed IP address
dynamic DNS is seen as wonky  ... However a personal site with limited
traffic can also serve students homework.  But it need not be on port 80.

Look into various hosting or co-location solutions.... some are much
less expensive than
good bandwidth to the home.

Comcast bundles several accounts with email and space on their servers for storage and http service along with the connection. There's not a lot of reason to run your own server unless you have dynamic content.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx