Re: Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:21 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>> To be completely off topic -- the discussion about browser mode seems
>> over anyway -- the kde 4 menu does suck. besides that it's buggy it's
>> not intuitive although it might be better if the existing bugs are
>> fixed. The only thing it is is looking better then what was the
>> classic menu.
>
> Well, I can only suggest that you talk to us on #fedora-kde and try to
> gather feedback in some sensible way (but a ML vote is not a good way to do
> so, as you have seen - we really don't need another flamewar like this
> one!). That's assuming KDE 4's classic menu implementation is good enough
> for you: if it also fails to meet your expectations, then actual coding
> work is needed! We can't just use the original Kicker menu, it doesn't work
> in KDE 4.
>
> Please keep in mind that many people do like the new Kickoff menu, and that
> we did hold a kind of vote among KDE maintainers and the result was 3-2 for
> Kickoff (and for the record, I voted for the classic menu, I hate Kickoff).
> We also tried to gather user feedback but didn't get all that much of it,
> maybe because it was too early and KDE 4 wasn't widely used yet (it was
> before the Fedora 9 release, so it was only in Rawhide).
>
> Also keep in mind that changing the menu style is just 2 clicks
> (right-click, Switch to Classic menu style), KDE upstream made it easily
> accessible because they know there are differing strong preferences. (If
> the default is switched to Classic, the people who want Kickoff will
> complain, we can't make everyone happy.)
>
> Oh, and if you want to participate in our decision making, the best way is
> to join the KDE SIG and help with KDE packaging. :-)
>
>        Kevin Kofler

Lol calm down on getting yourself safe lol.

I have just tried KDE 4 for a few hours and it's still not stable
enough for me to use.
so don't worry that i'm gonna make a new vote on this ML to get the
original menu back because i won't do that when i'm not using it. Ask
me again when KDE 4 is stable enough to use and doesn't crash when you
set you desktop to folder mode and does indeed remember the setting
and... and... and... there is so much that feels unstable but it's
really looking wonderful already.

And f.y.i. there is no menu in existence that i like ^_^ i did saw a
few mockups but nothing resembles what i would like to see. Not even
vista's! the one in windows 7 is getting closer though but that's only
because the theme there fully fits the panel.

So this is a flame war?... then i don't understand why. it's just
expressing facts and opinion to a few that don't want to listen
anyway.

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:31 AM, Horst H. von Brand
<vonbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark <markg85@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Mark <markg85@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> > That's a copout excuse.  You are spending a lot of time right now
>> > beating your head on the brick wall on this issue.  Figuring out a
>> > technical solution in the form of a LiveCD under the umbrella of the
>> > GNOME project might actually be the better argument than what you are
>> > doing now.
>
>> not an excuse just a fact. besides that fact i just need to use fedora
>> with a project of mine.
>
> Yes, it is an excuse. If you want something done, do it yourself.

Just when i'm "calm down again" you come here and post that line.
i absolutely HATE those lines the most in the entire open source world!
i've seen that so many times.. "if you don't like it, make it
yourself! it's open so your free to do so" it's such a lame excuse of
YOU to get rid of me the fast way. Most people are not even capable of
making it! i am not but am going in that direction to make it. (for
the wise guys: i don't mean remaking gnome but learning c++ and
actually now struggling with QT).