Re: serial port too fast for Core Duo?

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 03:49:26PM -0500, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> I have an oscilloscope with a 19200 bps serial port on it. It works fine
> with my old Windows 2000 computer.
>
> But it will not work with the on-board serial port on my shiny new HP
> DC7900 with Fedora 10! 19200 bps is too fast, and the data is always
> (slightly) corrupted, regardless of what sort of flow control is used.
>
> Using a USB-to-RS232 dongle works, presumably because the dongle has a
> larger buffer than the normal 16 byte UART.
>
> Can linux really not handle a 19200 serial port transmission, without
> resorting to obscure IRQ re-prioritization hacks?
>
> - Mike

I've run a modem, fo ryears, at 115200bps on old hardware, like a Pentium-90
and a K6-2/350 without trouble.

Many years ago I encountered a problem with an add-in serial port that
had been given some non-standard (as serial ports go) IRQ, where its IRQ
had such a low interrupt priority that it couldn't keep up. thre was some
tool I found to reset those priorities. I have no recollection what the
tool was, or if it is even needed anymore.

but, no, Linux doesn't (or certainly didn't) have trouble with fast serial
data.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -----------------------------
                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked