Re: PackageKit major annoyances

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 01:44 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Why?  Because on Linux, you install as root (you have to), and then
> the package is getting run as the root user.

No.

> Apart from the security
> implications of that, you don't normaly run the application as root
> (unless you practice bad computing habits), so whatever you do now
> will not apply when you later on run it as yourself.  You'll end up
> painting users into the run-as-root corner, like Windows does.

No. This is one of the architectural advantages of PackageKit unlike
monolithic solutions like pirut used to be. The installer runs in the
user session, the updater runs in the system layer as a job scheduled by
a daemon.

> Even if you could intelligently, post installation, switch away from
> root back to the user who started installing things, do you really
> want thirty recently installed programs run to set them up?  I don't!

Right, maybe we need a:

[x] Do not show this dialog anymore

> Which dimwit implemented that sort of behaviour?

Me, the PackageKit maintainer. Which dimwit has failed to read the
website or design docs[1]?

Richard.

[1] http://www.packagekit.org/gtk-doc/