Re: Call for vote: Nautilus use Browser view for fedora 11

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:24:43 +0000
> dexter wrote:
>
>> SILENCE! lest the people rise up and take back what is rightfully theirs.
>>
>> Hey mark build it how you want it put it in a repo and the people will
>> come, then start a UNLEASH GNOME CAMPAIGN
>
> Shucks, I already took back what was mine. I don't use GNOME or KDE.
> All my desktop are belong to me!!!!
>
>   http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/stick.html
>
> Actually, just looking at that page, I see I need to update it. I've
> found some more de-gnoming tricks since I wrote it, and solved my
> unsolved problem (or at least a subset of it), and have gone ahead
> and moved to fedora 10 (skipping 9).
>
> I do wish someone (with more energy than me :-) would create a
> branch of GNOME (maybe call it GNOT) and start ripping out
> stoopid decisions. Then we'd see which version of GNOME became
> more popular.

nice ^_^
Want to resurrect project "genome" (the original gnome fork) with me?

Serious now. a gnome fork with some of the decisions gnome made
reverted might get popular.
O well, the best thing to do if something like this will ever be done
would probably to go to the ubuntu brainstorm site, look at all the
ideas that have been supplied by the users, go to other forums, blogs,
mockups, mailing lists to ask what should be in and.. make it.

A big issue in gnome is that you can't get rid of nautilus easily.
nautilus does more then just browsing files.. it maintains the entire
desktop (background and icons)... it's quite nested in the gnome stuff
(design flaw? there are probably reasons to say it is and it isn't).
So. installing another file manager won't work the way you did expect
it to work.