Re: f9 FireFox and Sound.

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 21:17, Reg Clemens wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 December 2008 18:44, Reg Clemens wrote:
> > > Actually I didnt answer the question asked.
> > > Yes this has to do with FLASH, but its more than that.
> > > I dont have any sound at all on f9.
> > > On fc6 sound works for everything that generates sound.
> > >
> > > --
> > >                                         Reg.Clemens
> > >                                         reg@xxxxxxx
> >
> > Hi Reg.
> >
> > I'd go for a, yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio , then see if you have
> > sounds. Pulseaudio can be a pain in the backside. F8 on one machine with
> > an audigy2 soundblaster card. No sounds until I removed the package
> > above. On another machine with an hda intel soundcard, sounds worked ok
> > without disabling Pulseaudio. Worth a try, and you can always re-install
> > the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package if you feel you need it.
> >
> > It's also worth a look at alsamixer, while Pulseaudio is still enabled.
> > Open alsamixer as below, to view all controls.
> >
> > alsamixer -D hw:0
> >
> > Check for muted controls (the M key toggles mute/unmute), and sliders set
> > to zero. Master, PCM, Front, CD, are the usual sliders to look at.
> >
> > All the best.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> On your suggestion Ive tried that, but still no luck.
> Remoed alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.
> Checked alsamixer with the line above, some of the sliders were down
> (didnt read the asound.conf/asound.state files?) so I moved them up,
> but still no audio.
>
> Mumph.

Hi Reg.

Did you reboot after removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package?

Then open alsamixer again. No need for alsamixer -D hw:0, just alsamixer will
show card0.

For your information I see system-config-soundcard on F8, but not on F9. it
appears that the Fedora developers think that it's no longer necessary, and
that sounds should be automagically setup. Sadly this often isn't the case,
resulting in no sounds, and annoyed users.

Nigel.