Re: Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:55 AM,  <rlengland@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Would smolt be a reasonable place to consider mining for data on the
> distribution of use is on the various DMs?  Doesn't it report the active DM?
>  Or, if not, should it?

I would caution you about doing any popularity data mining without a
rationale for needing it to inform a existing policy dicussion where
the decisions makers have requested the information.  What exactly
would be the point of mining the popularity of any software relative
to another? There's absolute no decision point for the Fedora project
where popularity of any single piece of software matters at the
moment.    We aren't talking about doing any sort of purging from the
repository or anything like that.  Just mining popularity information
just to know, is not necessarily a constructive thing.  It can be a
contentious thing.  And speaking as expert on bringing up contentious
things, you might want to avoid it.

-jef