Re: Fedora 10 + Intel 945 poor GL performance

Hi Steve,

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 15:27 +0000, Steve Hill wrote:
> The performance of Compiz has hit rock bottom - with wobbly windows turned
> on, dragging a window is sloooow, with the window lagging behind the mouse
> pointer by a good few seconds.  Turning wobbly windows off at least makes
> it usable, but windows being dragged still lag behind the mouse quite a
> lot.
>
> Also, Stellarium's performance (running without Compiz) is pretty abysmal,
> giving me under 2 frames per second and causing the whole of X to run
> cripplingly slowly.  It doesn't seem to be using much CPU time so I guess
> it hasn't done something crazy like rendering in software (and frankly I'd
> expect software rendering to be faster than this anyway).

I'm not running Compiz, but I have been having similarly sluggish
behaviour from most tasks which require screen refreshes - moving
windows, scrolling documents or text, etc. OpenGL is using hardware
rendering. I posted a message about it yesterday with the subject "F10
display problems". I have a few other issues with X that I reported
there, I'd be interested in knowing if you see any of them. They are:

- switching to a console (such as Ctrl-Alt-F2) and back makes OpenGL
switch from hardware rendering to software rendering (this is the most
reproducible issue - it always happens - the next two I cannot reproduce
on demand, but seem to happen at random)

- sometimes, when switching to a console, instead of the console I see a
what looks like a corrupted copy of my desktop (though I cannot interact
with it at all). Switching back to the desktop is fine, but the consoles
all seem to stay that way until I reboot.

- occasionally, X dies completely - my screen goes black, and several
seconds latter the gdm login screen comes up.

> (II) intel(0): Attempting memory allocation with tiled buffers.
> (EE) intel(0): Failed to set tiling on front buffer: rejected by kernel
> (EE) intel(0): Failed to set tiling on back buffer: rejected by kernel
> (EE) intel(0): Failed to set tiling on depth buffer: rejected by kernel
> (II) intel(0): Tiled allocation successful.
>
> (II) intel(0): EDID for output TMDS-1
> (II) intel(0): EDID for output TV
> (EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe B!
> (II) intel(0): EDID for output VGA
> (II) intel(0): EDID for output LVDS

I don't get any of those. The only errors I have are:

(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory

and yep, I do seem to be missing a xorg.conf, odd that I didn't notice
that before. Who is responsible for generating xorg.conf on F10? I used
to know for early Fedora releases... The log file does report the
default configuration that it is using, it picks the "ati" driver. F9
used "radeon".

Brian