Re: Workaround for Ksynaptics. (Was preventing people from making a mistake)

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 13:13 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> And then the point is moot anyway cuz there is not sufficient
> instructions, even in the man page, to properly set this 'SHMconfig'
> option in the xorg.conf.

Yes, that was my original complaint, too.  Though, by now, I'd forgotten
which package it was that lacking that crucial info, having gone through
about three different things related to controlling the touchpad.

An example xorg.conf file, notice my ### comments:

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
### above line had to be added to enable controlling the touchpad
EndSection

Section "Files"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
	ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	    "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# keyboard added by rhpxl
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
### This section was added to control the touchpad
### see http://satyajitranjeev.wordpress.com/2008/05/16/fedora-9-and-touchpads/
### see http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=200840
	Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
	Driver      "synaptics"
	Option      "SendCoreEvents"
	Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
	Option "SHMConfig" "true"
### the above option for letting SHMConfig play with settings
	Option "TapButton1" "0"
	Option "TapButton2" "0"
	Option "TapButton3" "0"
	#Option "TouchpadOff" "2"
	Option "ClickFinger1" "0"
	Option "ClickFinger2" "0"
	Option "ClickFinger3" "0"
	Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
	Option "MaxTapMove" "0"
	Option "PalmDetect" "on"
	Option "FastTaps" "off"
### various options being tried out here in this EXPERIMENT, you do not want all of them
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "nvidia"