Re: Workaround for Ksynaptics. (Was preventing people from making a mistake)

On Monday 08 December 2008, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 13:13 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 08 December 2008, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> >This point in this thread seems as appropriate as any to mention
>> >syndaemon.  It's part of the synaptics (now xorg-x11-drv-synaptics)
>> >package.  When it runs, it disables the touchpad while the user is
>> >actively typing on the keyboard and re-enables it after a brief pause
>> >after the user stops typing.  Sounds very neat.  (I haven't felt the
>> >need to actually use it, as I don't have too much trouble with
>> >accidental tapping of my current touchpad.)
>> >
>> >It does require setting SHMConfig, though, so that problem still needs
>> >to be addressed.
>>
>> Not applicable for F8 it appears, from the description of it that I am
>> looking at on my yumex screen right now, there is zero, nada, no mention
>> of being able to disable it with the currently available
>> synaptics-0.14.6-3.fc8.rpm package.  It is as if the old package is gone,
>> and replaced by a totally new one without that capability.
>
>I wouldn't look there (at least not now that I'm older and wiser and
>know where to look for this particular program).  If you have the
>synaptics package installed, try 'man syndaemon'.  I don't have an F8
>machine handy anymore, but I'm sure it was there.  It's been there for
>many generations of Fedora, and probably before that.

I just blew it away on this box, but will install it on my lappy before I take
it anyplace else again.

Thanks for prodding me to actually look at it, but the question then remains,
how do we setup this SHMconfig in our xorg.conf's?  Was that posted & I
missed it?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)