Re: Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And, they are not going to give money to organizing an extended
> maintenance option to anyone let alone a community which has no
> responsibility or accountability.

And there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone from putting the
resources together and charging money for security updates post-EOL
for any Fedora release if they thought there was a market for that and
individuals were willing to pay for that sort of service in a
sustainable way.

At the end of the day, someone is going to have to step up and do the
work to extend the lifetime of Fedora releases.  Because the entirety
of our process uses open software, our current process is replicable,
without relying on the Fedora Project to bless it.  Under the new
trademark policy, I believe that such a 3rd party repository would
still qualify as a Fedora remix even if it were done completely
outside of the control of Fedora itself. Whether or not that work is
done completely by volunteers or people are paid to do it doesn't
really matter, the point is people have to be motivated to do the
work.

-jef