Re: Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Yet, IMHO, Fedora will never reach "Production Worthy" due to its short
>> release cycle and short maintenance life.  I've not yet run into a
>> serious business that runs Fedora, or considered running it, and would
>> certainly advise against it if they did.
>>

> Would you advise them into contributing to Fedora by organizing an
> extended maintenance option?  The entire infrastructure is open, if
> there was a compelling interest in seeing maintenance extended a group
> of contributors could make it happen by setting up the infrastructure
> and just doing it.  If there aren't enough people willing to
> contribute to the effort, then maintenance isn't going to be extended,
> no matter how popular the idea is.

Generally speaking the answer to your question is "no, I would not".

Why?

The only qualifications most businesses have for "contributing" is
giving money.  This is true when we consider that the majority of
businesses are not in computer software/hardware yet they do need
computers to run certain aspects of their businesses.

And, they are not going to give money to organizing an extended
maintenance option to anyone let alone a community which has no
responsibility or accountability.

FWIW, I should not have used the word "maintenance" in my original
statement.   At most, I should have said "security updates".  There is
no "maintenance" in the traditional sense when it comes to Fedora.  It
was 5AM when I wrote that....  :-)

--
Are we not men? Mei-Mei.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx