Re: Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 1:54 PM,  <homburg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:18:52 -0600
> "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM,  <homburg@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> >
>> > I think that Max was either a tad disingenuous or,
>> > possibly, unaware of the economic model. Redhat spends
>> > considerable sums on Fedora and has a fiduciary
>> > obligation to its shareholders. There is nothing wrong
>> > with that. Not at all. Fedora is a great "product." I
>> > accept it for what it is.
>>

>> While Fedora is beholden to the hand at feeds it,
>> Fedora's primary goal is _not_ to please RedHat.
>>
> Here is Red Hat's Statement in their most recent 10-K
> filed with the SEC in June:
>
> "Red Hat's participation in the community-driven development
> process is illustrated by Red Hat's sponsorship role in the
> Fedora Project and the JBoss.org communities. Our
> participation in the Fedora Project and the JBoss.org
> communities enables us to leverage the efforts of this
> international community, which we believe allows us to
> reduce both cost and development time, and lower the risk
> of including products and features in our technologies that
> the market and the community will not accept and support.
> Thus, we are able to use the Fedora Project and the
> JBoss.org communities as proving grounds and virtual
> laboratories for new technology that we can draw upon for
> inclusion in our enterprise technologies. Additionally, the
> open and transparent nature of these projects provides our
> clients and potential clients with access and insights to
> the direction of these projects. "

So you respond to my statement of what _Fedora's_ objectives are with
a statement of what _RedHat's_ objectives are?

Is the fact that they explicitly refer to Fedora are a community in
which they participate not relevant to you? Giving and taking from the
community -- isn't that a definition of a community member?

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )