Re: want to prevent people from making mistakes?

On Satudray, 6 Dec 2008 19:04:27 -0600,
"Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote :

> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>> Couple that with the fact that the support lifespan is
>> realistically less than 1 year and its getting hard to justify
>> spending time with Fedora releases.

> Well really, I don't think people use Fedora for support.

This is why I want to mirror F8.  F8 is good for everyday work.  F10 is
not.  F8 will become obsolete soon.  So what happens if I want to
install a new machine in 6 months from now and immediately start
working with it ?  F8, with all the updates, is a sure value.

Support ?  Depends.  Support as in 'the floor of the house is solid and
supports our furniture', yes.

Maybe that's asking too much for a free OS.  Maybe the short lives
of the OS versions is done on purpose to raise more sells for the
commercial product.  After all, who can seriously move from one version
to the other every six months when you have work to do ?  Only people
with ample time on their hands can fiddle with adjusting the
idiosyncracies of each new release on their own time.  Maxbe they don't
have ideas of their own to work with, or projects to realize.  Maybe
they do that on another, stable, machine after all.

F8 is good for work.  Not for home as I'm still using Fedora Core 6 for
making music as the sound on FC6 works (as a sidenote I think CCRMA are
up to F8 now, so these guys might have solved jackd issues with
pulseaudio-whatever-new-scheme-du-jour was found in there).

At each Fedora release I was enthusiastic.  Skipped over FC7, installed
F8, abruptly scalded with F9, I've installed F10 first in VMWare, and
then gave it a try on a real machine only to find out that in the end
due to a certain number of annoyances (one regarding networking - not
nice when networking is your field and you rely on the good operation of
basic methods) I've 'upgraded' to F8 from F10.  I miss the nice
transparent look,...

... but hey, it works and _I_ work.