Ksynaptics. (Was preventing people from making a mistake)

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 04:01 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> There are actually 2 reasons ksynaptics doesn't work:
> 1. SHMConfig in the synaptics driver is disabled by default, for
> security
> reasons.

Please explain more.

> 2. (Once you enable it by writing a custom HAL FDI file, you run into
> this
> one.) The synaptics driver in F10 is too new for ksynaptics to handle.
> KSynaptics needs to be updated to support the new API revision.

So would an earlier driver that worked nicely in F8 work ?

Why was the driver updated in F10 when the application wasn't ready to
handle it ?

I'm guessing that 25% of the "leading edge" people that make up Fedora
users are running laptops.   And as of this point in time, we have no
way to control our touchpads.  We can't turn them off, we can't set a
scroll area, we can't set the tap characteristics.  Nothing.

Does that sound production ready to you ?

If someone explains the security problem to me, I'll investigate further
and test ksynaptics with the F8 driver.

Thanks