Re: "internet calendar"

François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> I am looking for a calendar that could be synchronized through the Internet.
>
> As (almost) everybody I have several machines --- office, home, office
> abroad, internet café...), and only one "central server" at my
> university. I am wondering if there exists a calendar system which could
> be on my central server and which I could use anywhere; something like
> my mail: I use imap, everything is on the server and whenever I change
> something in my mailboxes, changes are available everywhere.
>
> A good think will be something like a plugin in the mail reader (I use
> thunderbird).

Others have suggested Google Calendar; I'm leery of having someone else
host my personal information (especially as some have had concerns over
privacy at Google).  But I'm willing to do some work at home.

With that in mind, I use the Chandler Server Bundle from the Open Source
Applications Foundation (http://www.osafoundation.org/).  It installs
relatively easily, is self-contained, is configurable, and is as private
as you'd like.

I access it through Thunderbird's calendar plug-in (Lightning).  You can
also use their free-standing app (Sunbird), and OSAF provides Chandler
Desktop if you'd like.  You can access your calendar via a web browser
if you prefer.  It's CalDAV compatible, which may also help.

 -Don