Re: f10.x86_64: laptop HP: Problem to see all 4Gb of memory

Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> The only disconnect is that my BIOS reported 3GB with remapping off,
> yet Dario Lesca says his BIOS reports 4GB. It could just be a
> difference in vendor BIOSes (ASUS versus HP).

Memory remapping seems to be a area where lots of vendors are dropping
the ball.  As an example this Asus M3A78T does remap, but loses 1/2
Gig in the process.  I only see 7.5GB of the 8GB of physical ram.  As
consumers we just need to keep up the pressure and "encourage" them to
get their act together.

Also the Intel firmware test iso mentioned upthread is invaluable in
showing how miserable some bioses really are.  Waving the failing test
results under the vendor's noses hopefully will embarrass them into
fixing the problems.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.