Re: FC10 - What has replaced /etc/sysconfig/hwconf

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:
Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I am coming from Centos 5.2 (got over a dozen systems here running it). This is my first Fedora Core install and I went right for Fedora Core 10, as I need the 2.6.27 kernel.

So I am looking for the /etc/sysconfig/hwconf file that lists all the installed hardware, particularly things like the video card. There does not seem to be any hwconf file anywhere on the system. So what do I look for....

/etc/sysconfig/hwconf is created and maintained by "kudzu". By default,
kudzu isn't installed in F9 or F10. You can "yum install kudzu" to
install it, then "kudzu -q" to build your file.

Ah, no kudzu. I am so use to it always being there. Why would I not want it? That is to leave it alone with no kudzu...

Theoretically, everything "just works" under F10's hal (tongue firmly in
cheek).  You sure can install it if you want.

Under F9/F10, I prefer to use "smoltSendProfile -p" to get a printout
of the hardware. Redirect its output to a file for a permanent record.
YMMV, of course.

Wow that is a lot of information....

Uh, huh.

Interestingly it shows the bogomips to be 2992 on this OQO mod 2, whereas /proc/cpuinfo reports it as 800. The processor is a VIA C7-M Processor 1500MHz, so I am more apt to believe the 800 value.

Fedora (at least back to F8) does on-demand CPU throttling. The value from /proc/cpuinfo is likely the "idle" speed (since you probably
weren't doing much), whereas smolt's value will be the "revved up"
speed (smolt does ping the hardware).

Example: On my "idle" Opteron 1210, /proc/cpuinfo shows:

	bogomips	: 2010.37

And smoltSendProfile shows:

	BogoMIPS: 3618.68

Of course, if I do something silly like:

	find / -print

in one window and look at /proc/cpuinfo in another:

	bogomips	: 3618.68

Voila!