Re: lvm

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Patrick Dupre wrote:

fsck complains
  filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
  is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
superblock:
      e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Slightly OT, but has anyone ever found that this works?
(I mean using an alternative superblock.)

Yes. If something hosed the front of the device, you'll often find a usable superblock further in. I'll admit that it's been a few years since I've had to use this in anger, and even then, more often to recover from auto-LARTs (dd whoopsies for e.g. :) than "mystery corruption", but I've certainly used it with success in the past. Ymmv.

Regards,
Bryn.