Re: CUPS, Alpine, and printserving : telnet weirdness

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 05:34:19 +1030, Tim wrote:
	[....]
> So, do not use telnet where you don't have to.  But it's certainly a
> useful tool to try and connect to some server to see what it responds
> with.  You can connect to a webserver, etc., using the telnet client,
> and what you do is no riskier than using a web browser.  Just don't type
> confidential stuff when not encrypted.
	[...]
> A telnet server listens on port 23, by default.  And you could log in
> and have a remote shell through it.  Without that server, you can't do
> *that*.  But, you can use the telnet client to connect with other types
> of servers (mail, HTTP, etc.), and those servers will be the thing that
> responds.  Some will be useable, some can't really be interacted with in
> a useful manner.
>
> If you telnet to port 631, it'll be the CUPS server that responds, if it
> can (CUPS has to be working, and allowing connections over the network
> that you're trying to access it).
	[...]
> Telnet is little more than a remote terminal over a network.

	I have just hit major weirdness. On machine #1, where I just
installed telnet an hour or so ago, and where it ran but failed to
connect, I've just tried again with a new target -- and suddenly bash
doesn't see telnet any more!

=====		=====		=====		=====
[btth@Hbsk2 ~]$ telnet 192.168.a.b 631
Trying 192.168.a.b...
telnet: connect to address 192.168.a.b: No route to host
[btth@Hbsk2 ~]$ ssh 192.168.a.b
btth@xxxxxxxxxxx's password:
Last login: Thu Oct 30 09:51:51 2008 from 192.168.a.q
[btth@Msgv ~]$ telnet 192.168.a.c 631
-bash: telnet: command not found
[btth@Msgv ~]$ telnet 192.168.a.c 631
-bash: telnet: command not found
[btth@Msgv ~]$ telnet 192.168.a.c 631
-bash: telnet: command not found
[btth@Msgv ~]$

	In between those, I ran rpm -q telnet on a different gnome-
terminal tab, and then "yum install telnet" again on a root tab. Both
assured me telnet was there.