Re: 54 GB in /var/log!! -- UPDATE

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:41:26 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 14:32 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>

>> 	Is there some way to find out what makes that message file so big
>> -- i.e., why the machine was losing its mind? I can't hope to read 54
>> gigs in my lifetime ...
> ----
> less /var/log/messages
>
> press '>' to get to end of messages
> use 'w' or 'Page Up' to page up
>
> press 'Control-C' to stop line number calculations (pointless in 54G
> file)
>
> read from the bottom, it should be obvious what the problem is

	I may have messed up. When suddenly startx failed even for root,
I tried "> /var/log/messages" (I think it was) and now the command to
look for the space-grabber returns nothing near so large. But then
everything else I tried kept hitting the out of range display. So I
finally hit the reset button.

	After rebooting that way, it now logs me straight in, GUI and all
-- but not, I think, with optimal display.

	All I recall from the bloated stuff was lots of differing and
interspersed lines about USB devices, and one of them not doing fax. (I
never use fax.)

	Is there a good way to keep an eye on /var/log/messages today,
and catch it in time if it happens again?