Re: KDE 3.5.10 Desktop Background Issue

On 02 October 2008 20:54:00 Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 20:42 +0200, Sandro Steger wrote:

> > > Odd, unfortunately I can't reproduce that, seems to work as advertised
> > > for me (I don't usually set/use background images, or change colors
> > > often).
> > >
> > > -- Rex
> >
> > Same, that's why it took me a while to notice.
> >
> > I suspect a corrupted config file to be the cause.
> > Is there a command to get kde to reload all user settings without
> > relogging in? That would make it a lot easier and faster to find the
> > cause.
>
> ----
> No - log out
> press <Control><Alt><F1>
> log in as your normal user in the virtual console
> type 'mv .kde .kde-bak'
> type 'exit'
> press <Control><Alt><F7>
> login as usual, your settings will be back to the beginning and all of
> your old data/settings are in your $HOME/.kde-bak
>
> Craig

Thank you for your help, but I planned to evade that (the reason for my previous
question).

Anyway, I found the cause and it indeed seems like a bug.

Explanation:
Konqueror breaks the configuration (located at ~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc)
when using the "Set as background" function in some conditions.

The solution:
Konqueror adds a part starting like [Desktop0Screen0] in
~/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc
Removing that part does the trick.

Can someone confirm this? If yes, I'm gonna file a bugreport on the kde bugzilla
or the mailinglist.

Greetings,

Sandro