Re: Boot hangs on modprobe errors

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 19:34 +0100, Laura Speck wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a fresh install of Fedora 9 on a Dell poweredge 2650. Install
> went fine, no errors or warnings. Rebooted it, and it hangs after:
>
> serial 00:06: unable to assign  resources
> Red Hat nash version 6.0.52 starting
> INFO: task modprobe:<number here that I cannot remember> blocked for
> more than 120 seconds
> "echo 0> /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
> INFO: task scsi_scan_0:449 blocked for more than 120 seconds
> "echo 0> /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
>
> We used 32bit fedora 9 to install onto a 3 dish scsi raid5. I am not
> sure if this machine is 32bit or 64bit, but I figured 32bit fedora
> should work on both?
>
> Rebooted again, and now it's not doing anything. It gave the error
> about the serial, then started nash up, but now nothing. And it's been
> a half hour.
>
> I am completely clueless right about now and any help would be greatly
> appreciated, even a point in the right direction :)
----
I have CentOS 5 (previously 4) running on a PE 2650 which came with a
PERC 3/Di RAID adaptor (Adaptec actually) and it clearly is a 32 bit
system so I would think that you installed the right version.

Obviously the installer ran and that tells you that the 32 bit OS works.

I would suspect that have a grub issue with the install (i.e. - not
installing grub on /dev/sda)

Suggest that you do...

boot installation disk again
enter 'linux rescue' at boot
have it locate the installation for you and get to a command prompt
type 'chroot /mnt/sysimage'
type 'grub-install /dev/sda'
type 'exit'
type 'exit'