Re: [Fw: Cambridge (F-10) Beta release announcement]

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 19:55 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 09:30 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Why forward publicly accessibly messages from one list to another
> > within the same community?
>
> Seconded!  It's an annoying pain getting *unnecessary* duplicates.  Let
> those who want to know about it, join the announce list.  Let those who
> don't bother to find out about the lists do without.

So if you don't know about the lists you'll never find out about them? I
know they are on the Fedora intro page, but does anyone read that?

> You may as well
> ditch the announce list if you're going to duplicate every post on this
> one.

I haven't noticed a duplicate of every fedora-announce message on this
list. In fact there are relatively few and I'd say an announcement of a
new Fedora release is probably of interest to most people here.

It would be annoying if a lot of people did this of course. Possibly the
best compromise would be to have announcements of new releases (and
major things like the recent repo problem) sent here by the announcer as
a matter of course, but this is something on which rational people are
not going to agree on.

> With the logic behind the "we want to inform more users" mentality, why
> not forward the developer list to this list, too?  And all the other
> lists...

See above.

> It's about time this list has a regular FAQ auto-posted.  You could
> include things like links to how to use the mailing list, pointers to
> prepared answers on the wiki to over-asked FAQs, and if you want more
> information, join the announce list.

Energetically seconded :-)

poc