Re: VDQ : machine names??

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 21:21 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> Two very odd things. First nano -w doesn't make it obvious to me
> (though perhaps it should) how much is one line, how much another :
>
>   GNU nano 2.0.6
> File: /etc/hosts
>
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost localhost
> ::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
>
> I have no idea where that 6 comes from, nor what it's doing there.

The 6 is for IPv6 addresses.

The instructions that came at the top of the hosts file were always
crap.  Quite often, the system had modified the hosts file before you
ever read it, so the instructions were just plain wrong.  And now, since
IPv6 is being accommodated, there's *two* lines that ought to be left
alone.

Your hosts file should have the following two lines in it, without
anything else in them:

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain    localhost
::1        localhost6.localdomain6  localhost6

And if you do have your machine hostname and domain name in the hosts
file, then it should *NOT* be stuck into either of those lines.  It
should be separate, and with the LAN IP address you associate with it.

e.g. 192.168.1.20  twenty.localdomain  twenty  mailserver

The format is numerical IP address, white space, full domain name, white
space, then any aliases for that domain name (such as the short machine
name, and any alternative names you use for it, all separated by white
space).

> Second, if I open Computer > Filesystem > /etc with nautilus, I
> don't see hosts at all! The search button or search tool on my panel
> finds 81 files whose name contains "hosts", one of which is
> indeed /etc/hosts; but clicking on that does get it in gedit, which
> looks much the same :

I can't imagine why Nautilus doesn't display it, unless it is displaying
it and not where you're looking (e.g. perhaps the sorting order of the
list isn't by filename).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686