Re: Slow Grub on new mobo Q

On Thursday 02 October 2008, Kam Leo wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:14 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> On Wednesday 01 October 2008, Kam Leo wrote:

>>>What new grub? As far as I am aware there has been no update to grub.
>>
>> The one that's been sitting in updates for 2-3 months, scared to install
>> it because my drive mapping was fubar on that biostar mobo with its
>> outboard sata controller.  Now on this asus, it seems like hd0,0 is indeed
>> /dev/sda1, aka /boot in the label.  Anyway, it worked.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>
>Why didn't you state that you were running F8?  If it makes you feel
>any better here is the changelog for grub-0.97-33.1-fc8:

I thought I did at first, but CRS could make a liar out of me.  Sorry.

>Changelog
>
>* Thu May 29 2008 Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx> - 0.97-33.1
>  - Backport F-9's grub to F-8.
>* Tue Apr 08 2008 Peter Jones <pjones@xxxxxxxxxx> - 0.97-33
>  - Rewrite ia32 efi call wrapper to make the makefile simpler.
>
>F9's grub is at 0.97-33. The previous version for F8 was 0.97-33.

That is the same numbers.  Typu?

>Unless Peter Jones made some dramatic changes I don't see how this
>backporting is going to adversely affect your system.

Thanks.  But this still does not explain why grub itself is so slow.

After the bios is done, then the next thing one normally sees is the "Grub
stage 2 loading", but I'm watching a monitor telling me there is no input
drive for about 12 seconds between the bios clearing the screen, and that
printout.

And normally that just sort of flickers for a few milliseconds, but that now
stays on screen for 2 or 3 seconds, then the screen is cleared again, and
about 10 seconds later the boot choice menu finally pops up.  This only took
maybe 2 seconds total on the old motherboard, now it's a good 20-25 seconds
from the bios clearing the screen to the boot selection menu.

Its that time that I'm fussing about.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)