Re: 64 Bit Linux shows 4GB... was Using all of 4GB RAM...

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 4:01 PM, John Aldrich <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 01 October 2008, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > ----
> > sorry - reinstall is your only option
>
> Reinstall the kernel or the whole "OS" including the applications ?
>
> How do I "reinstall" and get the exact same set of applications that I
> currently have and keep all my user data ?
>
> I was hoping that I could change a setting from i386 to x86_64 and some
> magic would occur whereby everything got replaced.  Even if I had to
> write a yum script to do it ?

Well, what you could do would be to reinstall, but don't reformat. At least
that way you'd keep all your "user" data. That's typically what I do, since I
have a separate partition for /home.

I wonder what would happen if you did an "Upgrade" from F8 32-bit to F8 x86_64? Theoretically wouldn't it try and keep all the same packages installed but just replace them with their 64bit counterpart?

Richard