Re: Git vs. Subversion. Which one?

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 04:32:28AM -0400, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> 2008/9/30 Nifty Fedora Mitch <niftyfedora@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 09:30:39PM -0300, Armin Moradi wrote:
> >>    So I wanted to know about the public opinions on which one is better,
> >
> > Read about Mecurial and RCS.
> >
> > This is a BIG topic.... and you need to disclose the size of the
> > team and their preferences.
> >
> > If it is just you.... use RCS.
>
> Out of interest, why do you recommend RCS over, say, svn or git or bzr
> for a personal project?  I've been using bzr for a while for one-off
> projects (which never need pushing to other machines than the one I'm
> working on) and it works fine without ever using the distributed-ness.

I like RCS for its simplicity.  It is not a distributed system yet you
can generate and send context diffs that others you are working with
can apply (see patch).  To this end much of the early usenet opensource was managed
with RCS.   It also can establish the foundations for revision control ethics in
an organization.  There is no need to set up a server.  Just fundamental
revision control.  It is well tested and as bug free as any....  It is
easy to back up a project to DVD/CDROM or to a tar file.

Looking down the list of replies...I see that one reply stated
that his preference was ..____.. because he knows how to use it.   Of all
the reasons to pick a tool that is the best reason of all.

RCS has one key advantage.   The current text is present in the file
and in a pinch you can quickly edit the file to recover your source.
No SQL no special file system hooks.   Some licensed systems require you
to have a current license to see your code or migrate your code's history
to another system.

The simplicity of the archives permit editing.  In some audit mandated
environments a server managed by others, processes and procedures are
required.  For these environments a cautious review is in order to comply with
regulations or contract requirements..... most are easy to address with
a project backup to DVD/CDROM or to a tar file, signed, sealed and delivered.

Search the web for Walter Tichy's paper on RCS .vs. SCCS.
   http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/trinkle/RCS/rcs.ps

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?