Re: VDQ : machine names??

Beartooth wrote:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:19:54 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:

I Beartooth wrote:
	I know it's a Very Dumb Question; I just can't find a general
answer that works.
	[....]
	Clue, please? Pretty please?

Three files can affect the system name.

The name seen in the prompt is from the hostname command, which gets set
from:
/etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME=

	OK, I changed that one on this machine.

The change will take effect upon the next reboot.
When your system connects to the network, it can tell the network which
name it wants to be known as.  This name, which dynamic DNS servers can
receive from the DHCP service, are configured in the network
configuration script, such as:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 DHCP_HOSTNAME=

	That one already had the name I wanted.

Programs on your local system use a consistent method to look up IP
addresses and associated host names.  In most cases, the local
/etc/hosts file is consulted first, and then DNS or other services.
Therefore, some applications on your system, like sendmail, can get
hostname from:
/etc/hosts

Two very odd things. First nano -w doesn't make it obvious to me (though perhaps it should) how much is one line, how much another :

  GNU nano 2.0.6              File: /etc/
hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost localhost
::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

	I have no idea where that 6 comes from, nor what it's doing there.

Second, if I open Computer > Filesystem > /etc with nautilus, I don't see hosts at all! The search button or search tool on my panel finds 81 files whose name contains "hosts", one of which is indeed /etc/ hosts; but clicking on that does get it in gedit, which looks much the same :
127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost localhost
::1		localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

Is what begins with "::1" really a different line, then, than the 127.0.0.1 line? Also, it doesn't say not to edit that line, just not to delete it. Do I want to change "localhost" (without the 6) there??

These three files/methods cover %99 of user systems, and are very likely
all you would need to look at.

Good Luck!

	Thanks! I've got a feelin' I'm gonna need it ...

It looks like your 'hostname' was not in /etc/hosts, so don't change it. :)
Mostly folks with fixed IPs or servers mess with /etc/hosts and then forget they did it. :)

Yes, those two localhost lines are required:
1 for IPv4 and 2 for IPv6

Good luck!