Re: thefts and encrypted FS (Re: what dose this do)

Jeroen de Haas <dajero@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> How many thieves would be comfortable with using Linux and
> network manager to connect to a network?

I don't use NetworkManager.  The fact that it doesn't bring up
networks till someone logs in is too stupid for words.  (For one, my
preferred login when I'm on the local net is one that uses my
NFS-mounted home directory.  That is impossible using NM, since it
can't bring up the network until you log in and you can't log in till
the network is up.)

> Besides, they would still need to have a user account on the laptop.

I'm sure they'll eventually decide they can't log in and install the
OS of their choice.  I'm hoping that in the meantime they'll boot it
at least once while on the net and I'll have their IP.

On the other hand, I guess I could create a guest account password
guest and leave that info written on a piece of tape stuck to the
computer.  (Obviously I'd have to make sure ssh and other services
can't log in using that account remotely.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.