Re: LVMs really frustrating me...

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM, linux guy <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm trying to copy data from an old laptop drive to a new one.
>
> I spent a lot of time trying to mount /dev/sdb3, which I thought was the
> data part of the old hard drive.   After a period of time, I found it to be
> a logical partition, not an ext3 partition.
>

> /sbin/fdisk /dev/sdb
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x9aa39aa3
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1   *           1        2076    16675438+   7  HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/sdb2            2077        2101      200812+  83  Linux
> /dev/sdb3            2102        9729    61271910   8e  Linux LVM
>

> I did a bunch of digging and learning and I found this:
>
> # /usr/sbin/lvdisplay /dev/sdb3
> File descriptor 5 left open
> File descriptor 7 left open
>   WARNING: Duplicate VG name VolGroup00: Existing
> YqG9FW-dYws-fSyZ-9lHS-ABjH-NuA5-GimBgI (created here) takes precedence over
> M7hbJ2-PNaC-5B8V-7VL8-vsWy-XuD0-LvkXVK
>   Volume group "sdb3" not found
>
> From this I conclude that my computer has 2 LVs of VolGroup00 and in fact,
> it does.    sda2 and sdb3.
>
> I was perfectly competent at mounting and working with regular
> partitions.    But these LVMs are a different matter.    How does one rename
> the partition so that there aren't 2 the same and then mount it ?  There is
> no LV option in mount. How does one fix the fact that there are 2 VGs with
> the same name ?
>
> I don't need to use LVs.   Is there a way to convert a working system to use
> regular partitions ?   I tried gparted, but it doesn't work with LVs.
>
> Thanks.

One of the issues with LVM in practice is the use of generic names
which can easily collide.

But to answer your question, to mount the LVM partition, it should be
already mapped (by the kernel) and you would need to use
'/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00' as the device name as opposed to
'/dev/sdb3'

I hope you didn't force the partition to be mounted as ext3 and damage
it somehow.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )