firefox: choose a profile

fresh install of fedora 9 x86_64. Firefox is the default browser. Every attempt to open the link from any application outside the firefox (homepage link in "About" window of any program, link from email message in thunderbird, conversation window in pidgin) brings up the firefox profile chooser window, asking "what profile do you want to use?". Obviously, selecting the current profile does not work because "it is currently in use" o_O

"Copy-paste" the links into firefox's address bar works, but having to do that every time is extremely annoying.

yes, I've seen such things before, and most of us had to write our own firefox-remote script to enjoy the flawless work, but it was like... in 2004!!! I thought this thing has been solved for some time now.

googling brings nothing -- apparently I'm the only one with this problem under F9.

Any suggestions?

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

I'm running F9 x86_64 and F8 i386 on x86_64 hardware, should this matter.

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./