Re: Switching to KDE (was kde or gnome)

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Eric <spamsink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 05:21 PM 9/28/2008, Dave Feustel wrote:

I'm running F9 and I would like to switch from gnome to kde,
but I have not figured out how that is done. Can someone
explain how?
<<<<<

Good evening, Dave.

First of all, you need to have KDE installed, if it is not already installed.  It isn't installed by default, in an initial F9 installation.  So, you need to log on as root, open up a terminal window, and say "yum groupinstall "KDE Softwarre Development"" ("yum groupinstall KDE" may also work but I didn't try that).

Then, you have one of two ways: switchdesk, or selecting it in a little box on login.

switchdesk is a command-line utility where you log on as yourself, open up a terminal window, and say "switchdesk KDE".  If you try that and KDE isn't installed, it will tell you that you need to use "yum groupinstall "KDE Software Development"" to install KDE.

If switchdesk isn't installed, you have to log on as root and say "yum install switchdesk" first.

The other way is, when you click on your userID in the login screen but before you type in the password, a small pulldown box will appear at the bottom center of the screen, containing all of the desktops you have installed.  Click on the arrow and select "KDE" from that box, and from then on, until you change it, all of your logins will be to KDE (again, as long as you have KDE installed).

Note that you could use the graphical "Add/Remove Software" to do all the KDE installation (and installation of other things like switchdesk), but I have had that crash on me once too many times, in the middle of a software install session, leaving things in an indeterminate state.  So, I use "Add/Remove Software" to get a list of everything I need to add, then I use the command line "yum install..." or "yum groupinstall..." to do the actual installation.

Hope this helps...

very simple:

open a terminal and do:

$ su -c "yum groupinstall kde-desktop"
<your root password>

note: "KDE Software Development" installed -devel packages which you don't need if you're not going to compile anything or develop on top of kde!

log out, choose "KDE" in login manager in in combo-box below, and then login!

there you have KDE!

--
Armin
feng.shaun@xxxxxxxxx