Re: Finding a Font to Support a Unicode Block (X11)

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 13:33 -0700, Michael Rohan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Just posted this to comp.fonts, but figured I should try here also.
>

> Not sure if this is the correct group, but I have code that generated
> Unicode strings displayed via Java on X Windows.  The strings include
> characters from the Enclosed Alphanumerics Unicode block.  On one
> Linux system (where I've installed every font package I could find),
> the strings display as expected.  On another Linux (default) system,
> they display as little squares, i.e., missing.
>

> Is there a way to directly identify the font needed to support a
> particular Unicode block?

Not that I'm aware of. However, the larger the size of the font
file, the better your chances are.

Also, the SIL fonts, such as Charis and Gentium, are more likely to be
useful to you because they support a much wider variety of Unicode
characters than most fonts.
--
Bruce Byfield <bbyfield@xxxxxxxxx>