Re: Preventing rsync of copying always all files to my pen

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Which messages do you see and what mount options are used for mounting the
>> > FAT partition? I've tried your scenario and I get messages like this:
>> >
>> > rsync: chgrp "/media/USBDRIVE/." failed: Operation not permitted (1)
>> >
>> > Generally using -a on ext[23] -> FAT transfers is not a good idea,
>> > because -a implies -rlptgoD (according to man-pages) but FAT does not
>> > support user or group information, links or devices
>> >
>> > I suppose a simplier "rsync -rtv" should accomplish what you need.
>> >
>> > You might even want to try unison - it can synchronise two folders in both
>> > directions, copying newest files from one directory to its counterpart.
>>
>> Thanks, Adalbert. The messages that I get are:
>>
>> "rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred
>> (code 24) at main.c(1040) [sender=3.0.3]"
>>
>> This happens with accented filenames.
>>
>> After having removed all accents, I do not get any error message.
>>
>> Still the reported problem occurs: rsync needs to copy all files after
>> umounting and subsequent mounting of my pen. This is the behavior that
>> I am wanting to control: rsync should copy only modified files. Before
>> unmounting my pen, rsyinc copies only modified files; but after having
>> umounted my pen and mounted it again, rsync copies all files. Any
>> ideas?
>
> Actually it does the same thing even if you don't unmount the pendrive
> (I just tried it).
>
> According to the rsync(1) BUGS section: "When transferring to FAT
> filesystems rsync may re-sync unmodified files.  See the comments on the
> --modify-window option."

Thanks, Patrick and Les. With the option

--modify-window=1

it only re-syncs modified files. Explanation (from "man rsync"):

"When comparing two timestamps, rsync treats the timestamps as being
equal if they differ by no more than the modify-window value. This is
normally 0 (for an exact match), but you may find it useful to set
this to a larger value in some situations. In particular, when
transferring to or from an MS Windows FAT filesystem (which represents
times with a 2-second resolution), --modify-window=1 is useful
(allowing times to differ by up to 1 second)".

The problem with accented filenames is solved with the option

--iconv=iso88591,utf8

Paul