Re: who the %^#$ is messing with /etc/passwd ??

Don Russell wrote:
> As I asked before, am I supposed to drop those ones that were system
> generated, and just now keep the ones in passwd.rpmnew + the specific users
> *I* created?

No. The other system accounts, like rpm, dbus, pulse, sshd and so on, were
most likely created by the corresponing packages and shouldn't be removed as
long as those packages are installed.

> Should I just change the "x" in passwd to * and call it a day?
> And if that's the case, surely the update process could have done that...
> but, it's not a big deal.

I suppose this change was made because disabling login in /etc/passwd was
considered cleaner than first referring to /etc/shadow and then disabling it
there. You can do the change if you like. I don't think I'll bother.

Björn Persson