Re: Preventing rsync of copying always all files to my pen

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Adalbert Prokop <adalbert.prokop@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have often to synchronize a directory from my computer to a pen
>> drive. To accomplish this, I use the following command:
>>
>> rsync -urva --delete /home/psmith/mydirectory/
>> /media/MYPEN/mydirectory/
>
> Which messages do you see and what mount options are used for mounting the
> FAT partition? I've tried your scenario and I get messages like this:
>
> rsync: chgrp "/media/USBDRIVE/." failed: Operation not permitted (1)
>
> Generally using -a on ext[23] -> FAT transfers is not a good idea,
> because -a implies -rlptgoD (according to man-pages) but FAT does not
> support user or group information, links or devices
>
> I suppose a simplier "rsync -rtv" should accomplish what you need.
>
> You might even want to try unison - it can synchronise two folders in both
> directions, copying newest files from one directory to its counterpart.

Thanks, Adalbert. The messages that I get are:

"rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred
(code 24) at main.c(1040) [sender=3.0.3]"

This happens with accented filenames.

After having removed all accents, I do not get any error message.

Still the reported problem occurs: rsync needs to copy all files after
umounting and subsequent mounting of my pen. This is the behavior that
I am wanting to control: rsync should copy only modified files. Before
unmounting my pen, rsyinc copies only modified files; but after having
umounted my pen and mounted it again, rsync copies all files. Any
ideas?

Paul