Re: Command help?

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 12:56 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
Bradley wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 14:24 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
Whoops!  In my previous comment on this, I neglected to mention you
really need to run /etc/rc.d/rc with the desired runlevel to force the
/etc/rc.d/rcX.d stuff to go.  In other words, if you do "telinit 3",
then you should also do "/etc/rc.d/rc 3" after it.
I don't think this is right. AFAIK the change in run level causes the
script to be run automatically. Note that on F9 the mechanism is
different from on previous Fedoras as it now uses the new upstart
system, but a quick look at /etc/event.d/rc3 shows an explicit call to
"exec /etc/rc.d/rc 3". (The OP doesn't mention which version of Fedora
he has but the new system is set up to emulate the old behaviour).

poc
Well, for all who are interested, I am running FC8 (haven't had time to
do a full system backup to prepare for FC9) and I have checked all all
of the K** and S** files are where they are suppose to be but telinit
doesn't run them all for some reason.  I have chosen to use run level 4
for the backups and it has all of the K** files but only two S** files
(the way I want it) but when I run telinit 4, it only "kills" two or so
and leaves the others running.
After your "telinit 4", have you tried "/etc/rc.d/rc 4"?

AFAIK, telinit does NOT fire up the /etc/rc.d stuff by itself and that's
how the K* and S* stuff get run.
As has been pointed out what you say is not true. Changes runlevel
should cause the correct rc* files to run. Check the man page of
telinit.

While the man page SAYS it "works closely together with the scripts in
the directories /etc/init.d  and /etc/rc{run-level}.d," in my experience
it really doesn't.

Under the classic scheme (F8 and older), /etc/init.d is a symlink to
/etc/rc.d/init.d, which are the TARGETS of symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc*.d.
/etc/rc.d/init.d contains no K* or S* files at all, so I see no way for
init to selectively run K* or S* files.  /etc/rc.d/rc is a script that
DOES pick up run level changes and invokes the K* and S* scripts
selectively.

With the new F9 mechanism perhaps it does work.  I'm not running F9
yet except in a domU under Xen because, frankly, I don't trust it yet.

There must bew something else that is wrong.

Perhaps, but I don't see how it can work "as advertised" with the file
layout as it is.  It wouldn't be the first time a man page was
incorrect.

Are you running it from a virtual terminal as root?

Yes, of course.