Re: F9: No audio on Compaq V5000

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:02 AM, David Hláčik <david@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I recently got my wife to switch to Fedora as she was getting very
> frustrated with Windows on her not so new laptop (Compaq V5000 AMD Turion
> 1.6Ghz w/ Radeon M200 video).
>
> Everything works well except there is no audio. Direct from boot there is no
> /proc/asound or /dev/snd directories. lspci does not show any audio devices
> so I'm not sure what driver to use. Neither the alsa wiki or google were
> much help.
>
> I tried modprobe snd-intel8x0 since it's really common and the module loaded
> and created some entries under /proc/asound but alsamixer still didn't see a
> sound card.
>
> She likes F9 overall but has to have working sound. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

Hello Richard,

please add atrpms repository (http://atrpms.net/install.html)

from atrpms repository install alsa-driver , as dependency it will
install alsa-kmdl module for your current kernel.

Restart computer, and sound will work just perfect.

Regards,

David

On the surface it looks like the only differences in the alsa packages is that atrpms is at version 1.0.17 while Fedora 9 is on 1.0.16. I can't believe that as old as this laptop is that the driver was just recently added. Is there some proprietary driver issue with the specific audio chipset in this laptop?

Richard