Re: KERNEL HEADERS

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 13:15 -0400, David McCormick wrote:
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 12:16 -0400, David McCormick wrote:
Ok I checked and as I thought the headers are installed. My problem is that I have to install a link to them and can't figure out what file they are in in order to link to them.
Are the headers for the exact same kernel you are compiling under?

poc

PS Don't top-post. See the list Guidelines.

Dave

Antonio Olivares wrote:
--- On Sun, 9/21/08, David McCormick <dmccormick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: David McCormick <dmccormick@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: KERNEL HEADERS
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 7:40 AM
I have been trying to install drivers for a Marvell nic and
an Atheros wireless on my new Toshiba laptop but when I run the install scripts I get the error Kernel Headers not found. If I try to install them RPM it says they are already installed. I have searched the archives but can't find a reference to where they are.
I have loaded FC-9 x86_64, I use it on two other machines
with no problem, on a Toshiba Satellite and the hardware is factory installed on it. I have found the tar balls to get them working if I can just find where the headers are.

Thanks
Dave

# rpm -qa kernel-headers

if they ae installed will return [students@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa kernel-headers
kernel-headers-2.6.26.3-29.fc9.i386
[students@localhost ~]$

if they are not present for your running kernel `uname -r`, then you may
# yum install kernel-headers

Regards,

Antonio

Yes. Its looking for them under /usr/src/kernel and they don't seem to be there. I was wondering if they might be in a library somewhere else.

Do you have the kernel-devel package? If not, install it. That will give
you additional headers under the /usr/src/kernels tree which are often
required for compiling drivers.

poc

I just noticed that you are using the ath5k driver on your system. That is what I am tring to get working on my Tosiba laptop. How did you insall it. I am using FC09 is that what you are using? I can't connect to the internet until I get either the nic ar wireless working.

Dave