Re: How to mount an LVM volume? (was lvm2 problem)

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 17:31:11 Eric wrote:
> At 10:30 AM 9/23/2008, Stuart Sears wrote:
> >Alternatively, remove one disk, boot F9 (or FC5, really doesn't matter
> >which!) with a rescue disc and rename the volumegroup.
> >
> >vgrename /dev/VolGroup00 /dev/VolGroup-F9 (or something like that - man
> >vgrename).
> >
> >(although in rescue mode, this would be lvm vgrename)
> >
> >if you put the other disk back afterwards, the names will no longer clash
>
> <<<<<
>
> Good afternoon, Stuart.
>
> I tried that and found that I can't do that with the boot drive, else
> it will no longer boot.  I assume that I have to edit /etc/fstab
> and/or grub.conf and maybe some other stuff, to get it to boot.
>
> I was able to get that to work with the old FC5 drive, though, so now
> I can see it and mount it.
>
> So, my main problem is solved (THANKS, everybody), and all that's
> left is an exercise in curiosity regarding how to rename the boot
> drive, if I want to do that, while leaving it in a state where it
> will still boot.

You can only do this from rescue mode, and (as you already discovered) you have
to update the fstab and grub config. I also had to rebuild the initrd, IIRC,
and I doubt it would hurt to do so as a precautionary measure (I did that by
doing a chroot to the mounted system image).

Be warned that if you forget to edit fstab first, the rescue disk won't mount
your installed system, and that means you'll have to do it manually.

Updating the grub config is fairly critical, but that part you can get around
when you boot by editing the command line (if you forget). At least, if the
boot device doesn't change, ...

I had to do this yesterday, as it happens, and got it wrong (twice) before it
worked, hence the caveats.